Given this year’s intergenerational theme the Steering Committee voted to support two charities, one at each end of the generation spectrum.
The Crediton Youth Collective are taking up where the closed youth facilities have left off. On 24 June they are extending their regular Youth Café to give an opportunity for young people to perform throughout the evening.
On 4 July they are running an Alice in Wonderland themed gig, 7pm-11pm at Crediton Arts Centre: a gig providing an opportunity for young people to perform their music to others, and for young people to attend. The event will be fancy dress, with the theme of ‘Alice In Wonderland’, and a prize for best costume! Food and drink will be available to purchase. All profits go to Crediton Youth Collective to be used to hold future events for the benefit of young people in Crediton and surrounding areas. Tickets £2 in advance/£3 on the door. Further information from c r e d i t o n y o u t h c o l l e c t i v e @ h o t m a i l . c o m
Age Concern Crediton & District’s aim is to enhance the quality of life for the 50 plus of Crediton & District and is the only charity in Crediton that works exclusively for local residents. It provides a service that meets their needs, so enabling them to be independent, safeguard their privacy, reduce loneliness and isolation and offer opportunities to enjoy and contribute to society as fully as possible.
Age Concern Crediton Services:
- A day service which now operates five days a week, Friday being a memory day supporting those with short term memories and early stages of dementia.
- Home Support – The Home Support service visits clients who have a greater difficulty with their mobility but who can still benefit with our support and care by regular contact at their home. We have extended our Home Support Services and now offer Domestic Cleaning and a shopping service.
- Advocacy – form filling, change of utility servers, Benefit checks, housing issues etc.
- We have a nail cutting service which is held at the centre and runs twice a month by trained volunteers.
- A Keep fit class at the Leisure Centre on a Tuesday mornings
- Art groups every 1st and 3rd Thursday of the month
- We hire out our day room, wheelchairs and other equipment when required.
- The AC shop was completely refurbished in May last year and we have a new Manager and deputy. All the proceeds from the shop go to supporting Age Concern’s work in Deep Lane.